Sunday, May 10, 2009

What do you think, Coldplay copied Joe Satriani in their song?

Joe Satriani has filed a lawsuit against Coldplay for copying his song from his 2004 album "Is there love in space?". But this is a tough lawsuit. Musical plagiarism is a tough one to convict on but still I think it might be a good lesson for musicians who'd think of copying another less known musician for a few bucks.

For more on the actual case you can go to:

Joe Satriani's reasoning for the outburst is, in his own words, as per "MusicRadar":

"It was a love letter to my wife, Rubina – a simple, direct expression of feeling.That I spent so long writing the song, thinking about it, loving it, nursing it, and then finally recording it and standing on stages the world over playing it - and then somebody comes along and plays the exact same song and calls it their own."

Well, if you like music you wouldn't care who copied who because they both sound beautiful. Just one of those songs that would just make you get up and go do things....

But being the guitar lover I am yes I side Joe Satriani not just cuz he's one of my guitar heroes 2nd best in the world after Steve Vai in my opinion - melodically the best I've heard but, because he made his song "If I could fly" in 2004; 4 long years before Coldplay did. 2ndly it simply sounds the same if you listen to them. 

Just take a listen and see (viva la vida 1:10 and if I could fly 0:49). But don't skip. Listen to Joe's song from the beginning, trust me you'd love it if you love beautiful melodies.







Still don't believe me? Check this in depth analysis of the underlying chord progression of the two songs by this music teacher on YouTube. 




Whatever said and done I love both the songs but a bit more love goes for the Joe Satriani's :) :).

But the fact of the matter is, there's a crowd that accuses Joe Satriani of copying the "alleged" melody. This is such a far fetch plagiarism accusation compared to the Coldplay case but I do see the similarities though. This is a tough one..




Signing off..
HR

4 comments:

  1. oooo am a fan of cold play... yup yup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya they r pretty good.. but I guess shit happens :)

    I feel they are very much like Dave Maththews. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't think i had much on dave maththews in my play list but find they are quite interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. well you should. Try the youtube video in one of my posts. I'm sure you'd like it if you like coldplay but hey.. you might NOT like it as well..

    http://adrummersthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/04/grey-street-tad-bit-of-viol-sax-voc.html

    ReplyDelete