Monday, May 4, 2009

Favourite drummers of all time


Been a long week for me even though the week just started. World's been a bit cruel to innocent me. But the music cheers me up. I just started listening to Tool's 2001 album - Lateralus. As awesome album with unbelievable drumming.

Songs like Schism, The grudge, The Lateralis just stick in your head just because of the drum track. Any drummer should be a fan of Danny Carey; a genious in the drumming world. World renowned for his unique style of playing; very much based on off-beat feel. In this album he makes use of his newly improved double-bass techniques (as of 2001) to his greatest advantage.

That reminds me; who are YOUR favourite drummers of all time?

Here's my list:
1. Vinnie Colaiuta (independant, though he played for mega deth in the system has failed album)
2. Daniel Erlandsson (arch enemy)
3. Richard Christy (Death, Iced Earth)
4. Dirk Verbeuren (soilwork)
5. Danny Carey (Tool)
6. Carter Beauford (DMB)
7. Dave Lambardo (Slayer, Testament)
8. Per Möller Jensen (the haunted)
9. Jojo Mayer (awesome, I've his DVD and I've improved so much in the past few months thanks to this guy)
10. Tommy Igoe (another DVD guru of mine and he's awesome)

As you might have noticed my inspiration is of a large pool of music genres and I think that's key for a drummer to be an unique as possible. If a drummer sticks to a single genre all his lifetime he's as bland as the next cup of badly brewed coffee..

4 comments:

  1. Dude! I don't know much about drumming or drummers but Lateralus is definitely my favorite album from Tool! That was one brilliant album where every song was a metaphor with so much being said in the lyrics, I could read them over and over and find infinite meanings :D 'black then white are, all I see, in my infancy. Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, makes me see. There is so much more that beckons me, to reach out to the, infinite possibilities' :D i once had a really strange experience listening to the album whilst reading Carol's Through The Looking Glass, at one point when the title track began playing the lyrics and the words in the book coincided and it was so cool xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya man Maynard's lyrics are just awesome.. for me the most appealing part is the music rather than the lyrics if I may boldly say my thoughts out.. :) I've offended alot by this and most can't understand this but that's just the way I am but I have to agree that quoted lines from lateralus is just absolutely beautifully macabre.. Even Danny's drums are set to depict the pentacle.. which in my youth seemed quite cool and still it amuses me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good list idea (though lists themselves tend to be painfully reductive things) so here goes:

    1. Terry Bozzio (missing person; fantomas; everyone)
    2. Danny Carey
    3. Carter Beauford (DMB)
    4. John Longstreth (Origin)
    5. Derek Roddy (Hate Eternal)
    6. Charlie Zeleny (Behold...The Arctopus; Blotted Science)
    7. Danny Walker (Intronaut)
    8. Martin Lopez (Opeth)
    9. Martin Axenrot (Opeth)

    oh well, only 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how could I have forgotten Martin Lopez man... I love Mr. Lopez too bad he had to leave Opeth. His style of drumming was just unbelievable. So relaxed and filled with so much of subtle changes which just makes the music double its beauty and yet those subtle changes are complex on its own.. I just love him.....!@!#$%!

    ReplyDelete