Monday, April 27, 2009

Music.. Different genres.. I hate that genre and love the other.. Bullshit..

For the past few weeks it's been the few bands on my Winamp that kept my work from becoming "too" stressful. All you metalhead the band names will be commonplace but for all you who's not, it would be your first time and as I mentioned in my opening note, quite morbid!!

Well my winamp looks like this..

What you do you think? Any band you know? Heard of Sanctity? Probably all you heard Toto.. I listen for a few songs and mainly for Jeff Pocaro (half-time shuffle inventor)
What about All that remains, Amon Amarth or Evergrey?? No? What about Light this city? Just like Arch Enemy, Light this city has a female lead vocalist.  'love 'em..

Well let me introduce you to this morbid, unaccepted, unethical, demonic and loud music. Other than Toto all other bands were of the Metal main genre. But the sub-genre varyies from Power to Melodic Death metal where Viking metal stands in the middle. :)

So what you think? Interesting? Just like any subject area, metal has it's origins, fascinations and passionate-cult following and it's not just for some depressed teenger. Yes, I agree if you say not everyone would like the music but I'd say that is because you let the masses control your taste. You're not open enough to accept metal as part of your song list though secretively you WILL and I repeat that you WILL love at least one or two metal songs during your life span..

I'll be impartial and I'll talk about the exact opposite scenario which holds true. I've met people who listens and engages in cult-like activities just to show-off to the world that they are not appreciative of the main stream music scene. Most of the metal scene in Sri Lanka is run through this theory, hence the reason for me to be on the down-low for the past few years. Most naive kids nowadays listen to music just to belong and be different. I don't have any issue with this but don't disrespect any other type of music.. 
I think anyone can and will love any type of music. So, just let yourself like whatever you feel like and enjoy this world of music. There's alot of things you can learn, specially if you are a musician and experience if you're a pure listener, in all types of music. Please I emplore that you let go of the "I only listen to metal, rock or techno" and embrace the music as a universal gift for all of us from nature. Music has the power to change or induce emotions and I believe anything that can do that is worth receiving your respect.....

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying my best to break the genre barriers too... when I first REALLY got into music, at the age of 13 or so... it was mostly due to Linkin Park, Nickelback, and Puddle of Mudd... afterwards I switched from Yes.fm to TNL and got even more into hard rock and alternative... I'd always liked Nirvana, and they soon became my favourite band, and still are even today, I just can't get sick of their stuff... so naturally I was centered around the rock genre. later I got even more into SOAD and Slipknot (Vol.3 and Hypnotize/Mesmerize) and that expansion into nu-metal allowed for me to venture into metal, the "real" kind ;)

    since then it's been an amazing ride... Nirvana helped me get into alternative and grunge, naturally I got into the "Big Four", Pearl Jam, Sound Garden and Alice In Chains... so that was another expansion over there...

    Right now my music collections stands at 17,326 tracks, which is not entirely accurate since I've tried to get hold of as many Nirvana releases as possible (eps, singles, box sets and all, albeit digital) so I guess it would actually be 17,000 give or take...

    still expanding... getting into mellow stuff as I got into extreme metal, still taking my time with black metal, more into the ambient type, though Immortal is fucking sweet! xD

    strange that as I got into one extreme it naturally caused me to look for something softer... I'm usually deterred by anything mainstream so anything that's pop is usually a no-no. but noise-pop and dream-pop are genres that I've come to like quite a lot! especially the Pixies!

    Haven't had a listen to the Carcass or Sanctity albums, though I have a few tracks of the former, will check em out though!

    and Eluveitie is fucking awesome!!!
    and as for Twilight of the Thunder Gods, now that was one BRILLIANT album by them! the first track I heard from them was Death In Fire and it became an instant fave, still love it :D

    as for kids listening to music cause it's cool, well that's inevitable, but it's funny how as they get into adoloscence they tend to reject the notion and actually think they're all sincere about it :P
    I've been called a "false metalhead" by some, but that doesn't bother me because I don't try to associate myself to metal itself, I try not to limit myself in any way. But from all the genres I've observed so far, metal certainly has one of the most interesting cultures! at least for me (:

    kudos on starting this blog btw!
    noticed it yesterday but didn't have time to comment
    I was considering writing more music related posts myself, but I'm not too sure if there's much of an audience. let's hope you'll spark some interest in the blogosphere!

    seems you've already caught RD's attention, he happens to be quite the celebrity of Kottu, so that can only be a good thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. surprisingly I stumbled through my music life in the same manner. Experimenting with this that and telling the world I only like one and not another but ended up allowing myself love any type of music as long as it appeals to me. My attraction is towards metal and specially melodic death but it spans from any metal to any metal but when it reach the extremes like Extreme black and Extreme death gets a bit too much for me where drumming and guitars are quite too loud and not much music.

    Yes, I guess you're right. Kids will always want to belong. I went through that phase but I'm sad many guys and girls stick to this ends even after they fall off the tree. But hey who am I to judge. I'm judging them for not liking all of em... Lol.

    Thanks again for your input SF. It would be lovely to hear some ideas of your on music from your side.

    ReplyDelete